By LITO DELOS REYES
INTERNATIONAL Boxing Federation (IBF) World super flyweight champion Jerwin “Pretty Boy” Ancajas will chart his own course and will not duplicate be another Manny Pacquiao despite his recent impressive showing during his title-defense of his debut in the United States.
“I have talked to Jerwin about this and he has no problem about it and will chart his own course,” said Games and Amusements Board (GAB) Chairman Abraham Kahlil “Baham” Mitra.
Mitra said that “Ancajas will be always fighting under the shadows of our great fighting Senator Manny Pacquiao as he (Pacquiao) is surely going to be in the Boxing Hall of Fame (for) having won titles in (eight) weight divisions.”
The 26-year old Ancajas retained his title by stopping Mexican challenger Israel Gonzales via a 10th round technical knockout last February 3 at the Bank of America Center in Corpus Christi, USA.
Team Ancajas headed by chief trainer-manager Joven Jimenez was scheduled to arrive in Manila on Feb. 7 at 5:30 a.m.
“We plan to have the usual hero’s welcome and viewing of the fight at the GAB,” said Mitra, a former elected-governor and congressman of Puerto Princesa City, Palawan.
Mitra and his two GAB Commissioners Edward Trinidad and Mar Masanguid will also try to get another audience with President Rody Duterte for Ancajas.
“But as we all know he (Duterte) is also a very busy man,” said Mitra.
Ancajas, a native of Panabo City, Davao del Norte and his team were accompanied by the GAB officials during his courtesy call made after successfully defending his crown via a 6th round TKO over previously unbeaten Jamie Conlan of Ireland last Nov. 18 at The SSE Arena in Belfast.
Ancajas, who is now being promoted by Bob Arum, successfully made his fourth title defense of the crown he took away from then-undefeated Puerto Rican McJoe Arroyo via a convincing unanimous decision last Sept. 3, 2016 at the Jurado Hall of the Philippine Marine Corp in Barangay Fort Bonifacio in Taguig City.