Chavez: After I Win, If No Canelo Rematch Then I’ll Face Golovkin
By Miguel Rivera
Former WBC middleweight champion Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. (50-2-1, 32 KOs) has no problem with facing IBF, IBO, WBA, WBC middleweight champion Gennady “GGG” Golovkin (37-0, 33 KOs) in the fall.
Chavez Jr. will first go up against his countryman, Saul “Canelo” Alvarez (48-1-1, 34 KOs), on May 6th at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas.
Canelo vs. Chavez Jr. takes place at a catch-weight of 164.5-pounds. Chavez is coming down from the super middleweight limit of 168.
There are ongoing talk for Canelo to face Golovkin in the fall, as part of Mexican Independence Day weekend in September.
Last Saturday at New York’s Madison Square Garden, Golovkin won a close twelve round unanimous decision over Daniel Jacobs to retain his middleweight belts.
Following the fight, Golovkin’s handlers resumed their negotiations for a potential HBO Pay-Per-View fight with Canelo.
The two sides are having trouble reaching an agreement on the money. And Canelo’s side is threatening Golovkin not to move forward with a planned fight in June, possibly against WBO champion Billy Joe Saunders. Golden Boy Promotions CEO Oscar De La Hoya,who promotes Canelo, is worried that Golovkin could suffer injury or potentially lose – which in turn would cancel out any possibility of a September fight.
Chavez Jr. would fully embrace the opportunity to face GGG in the fall.
“I said that I was going to knock [Canelo] out in the eighth. If I win and he does not want a rematch – I will go for Golovkin. I’ve never shied away from a fight,” Chavez Jr. said.
There were serious talks for Chavez Jr. and Golovkin to fight each other in 2014. Their discussions fell apart when Chavez became engaged in a legal battle with his former promoter, Top Rank. The weight would not be an issue, as Golovkin had previously agreed to face Chavez at the super middleweight limit.