SANMAN’S PRIDE. (left to right) Dexter Tan, Romero Duno, Reymart Gaballo and JC Manangquil watching the fights of the birthday boxing presentation of Sen. Manny Pacquiao last Dec. 17 at the Robinsons Place in Gensan. (photo by LITO DELOS REYES)
GEN. SANTOS CITY — Romero “Ruthless” Duno of the Philippines will again be seeing action in the US on January 27 at the Forum in Inglewood, California.
This time, Duno is fighting in the undercard of the WBA world lightweight title fight between Jorge Linares and Mercito Gesta.
The fight will be scheduled for 10 rounds. The boxing card will also feature the championship fight for the vacant WBA world welterweight title between Lucas Martin Matthysse and Tewa Kiram.
“I am very happy to be back in a huge card. I want to thank Sanman and Golden Boy Promotions,” said Duno, current WBC Youth Intercontinental lightweight title holder.
Duno’s opponent, however, will still be announced soon by promoter Oscar De La Hoya of the Golden Boy Promotions.
“We still don’t have a final opponent yet. (But) hopefully we will have it soon. Romero Duno, however, is staying ready and sparring right and left handed fighters,” said Sanman Promotions CEO Jim Claude “JC” Manangquil.
“We want to thank Golden Boy promotions and (matchmaker) Robert Diaz for the massive opportunity,” said Manangquil.
Duno (15W-1L-0D, 13 KOs) is currently training at the Sanman Boxing Gym in General Santos City but will fly already to Los Angeles on Dec. 27 for the final touches of his training under coach Rodel Mayol at the Freddie Roach’s Wild Card Gym.
He has been training for three weeks in Gensan and has been doing some sparring.
“Duno has ben working hard here in Sanman Gym sparring with southpaw Rimar Metuda and orthodox Ernie Sanchez. He is ready for anyone,” said manager Dexter “Wang Yu” Tan of Sanman.
Duno took a break from his training to watch the exciting fights in the birthday boxing presentation of Sen. Manny Pacquiao last Dec. 17 at the Robinson’s Place in Gensan together with Tan, Manangquil and stablemate Reymart “Gensan Assassin” Gaballo.
The 22—year old Duno previously won a convincing unanimous decision against Mexican Juan Pablo Sanchez last Sept. 23 also at the Forum.
Duno landed a solid punch to cut Sanchez’ left eye in the 5th round.
He made his presence felt by making an impressive US debut via a 2nd round stoppage against then unbeaten Christian Gonzales last March 10 at the Belasco Theater in LA to capture the vacant WBC Youth Intercontinental lightweight crown.
Duno then went home to Gensan to stop compatriot Jason Tinampay via a 2nd round technical knockout last June 10.
He went back to the US to score a convincing UD win against Sanchez last September.
“I will do my best to give a good show for Gensan and the Philippines,” said Duno. (LITO DELOS REYES)