Menard To Return on December 15 After Gamboa Fight Falls Out

BoxingScene.com

By Steve Kim

Promoter Greg Cohen believed he had a big fight lined up for his lightweight contender Mason Menard late last week. There were serious discussions for Menard to fight Olympic gold medal winner and former world champion Yuriorkis Gamboa. The fight would have been showcased on a big televised card next month.

“We were in the running to fight on the (Terence) Crawford card against Gamboa and Mason wanted the fight. We were very excited but it just didn’t come together,” Cohen told BoxingScene.com

On December 10th in Omaha, Nebraska, Crawford takes on John Molina as the main event on HBO. The co-feature for that broadcast will be a lightweight bout between Juan Diaz and Ray Beltran.

07_Menard_WeighIn_Shobox_August19th (720x480)_5

Menard, who has scored two knockouts on ShoBox this year against Eudy Bernardo and Bahodir Mamadjonov, was scheduled to fight a few weeks ago in Louisiana but that fight card was cancelled as there were licensing issues with his opponent.

But it looks like he’ll be going back there for a stay-busy fight to end 2016.

“We’re going to do a fight December 15th near Mason’s hometown in Lafayette, Louisiana. Just going to bring him back, keep him busy. He’s going to defend his NABO title and keep the train moving,” said Cohen.

Menard currently has a record of 32-1 with 24 knockouts.

You may also like...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *