The inaugural Global Martial Arts Awards took place on Thursday, 8 November in Singapore, and accolades were handed out to athletes from around the world for their performances in 2018.
Eduard Folayang scooped up one of the biggest awards of the evening, as he was crowned the prestigious Martial Arts Hero Of The Year. That particular honor, which was given out last, recognizes an athlete’s performances inside the cage and their impeccable character outside of it.
Two-division ONE World Champion Aung La N Sang was also a key feature in the night’s proceedings. The Myanmar national hero took home the Male Athlete Of The Year award and the Bout Of The Year award for his legendary title encounter against Ken Hasegawa at ONE: SPIRIT OF A WARRIOR in June.
ONE Women’s Atomweight World Champion “Unstoppable” Angela Lee earned an honor, too. She was awarded Female Athlete Of The Year.
Here is the full rundown of the winners from the momentous event in Singapore.
Full List Of Winners From The 2018 Global Martial Arts Awards
- Martial Arts Hero Of The Year — Eduard Folayang
- Male Athlete Of The Year — Aung La N Sang
- Female Athlete Of The Year — Angela Lee
- Muay Thai Athlete Of The Year — Nong-O Gaiyanghadao
- Kickboxing Athlete Of The Year — Tenshin Nasukawa
- Bout Of The Year — Aung La N Sang VS Ken Hasegawa
- Knockout Of The Year — Brian Ortega (KO of Frankie Edgar at UFC 222)
- Submission Of The Year — Joshua Pacio (submission of Pongsiri Mitsatit via “The Passion Lock” at ONE: REIGN OF KINGS)
- Martial Arts Journalist Of The Year — Manabu Takashima from MMA Planet
- Ring Girl Of The Year — Lee Ji Na
- Event Of The Year — ONE: KINGDOM OF HEROES
- Walkout Of The Year — Andy Nguyen
- Gym Of The Year — Team Lakay
- Referee Of The Year — Olivier Coste
- Coach Of The Year — Mark Sangiao
- Breakthrough Of The Year — Stamp Fairtex